9.6 C
New York
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Newcastle Cathedral pulls out of Archbishop of York’s Lord’s Prayer tour

NEWCASTLE CATHEDRAL has withdrawn its planned participation within the Archbishop of York’s Lord’s Prayer Tour.

Archbishop Cottrell had previously been expected to talk at Newcastle Cathedral on 18 September as a part of a tour this 12 months (News, 12 March), but a revised list of dates omits Newcastle.

In an announcement to the Church Times on Wednesday, the Dean of Newcastle, the Very Revd Lee Batson, said that he was “deeply happy with the Cathedral’s ongoing ministry to those that have suffered abuse of their lives.

“It was this that informed the unanimous decision made solely by the Dean and Chapter to tell the Archbishop that we’ll not be hosting him as a part of his Lord’s Prayer tour.

“This decision was made independently by the Cathedral’s governing body and applies specifically to this event. The well-being of survivors stays our highest priority, and Newcastle Cathedral will at all times strive to place them first.”

A spokesperson for the Archbishop of York made no comment beyond saying that the tour included various cathedrals and other locations within the north of England.

“These events are opportunities to reflect on the meaning and significance of the Lord’s Prayer. They are a part of a wider set of events and resources on offer across the north, with an open invitation to become involved over the following 12 months,” she said.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Sign up to receive your exclusive updates, and keep up to date with our latest articles!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest Articles